If you have an indoor-only cat, and you’re looking for ways to enrich their life, you may be interested in Kitty Lawn! It’s “your kitty’s backyard in a box!”
I first learned about Kitty Lawn at CatCon earlier this year. They sent me a sample to try for free, and my cats loved it, so I signed up and paid for a repeat delivery subscription. Read on to see if Kitty Lawn may be right for your indoor cat!
This is the second of five articles in our October cat enrichment series.
Disclosure: Some links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
What is Kitty Lawn?
It’s two things.
- It’s a grass pad for your cat to enjoy.
- As well as a subscription delivery service you can sign up for!
If you don’t want to subscribe, you can make a one-time purchase of the grass pad. If you sign up for repeat delivery, you can set the frequency from 1 week to 8 weeks (mine is set for 3 weeks).
How can Kitty Lawn benefit my cat?
So, it’s just a patch of grass. Why would your cat like or benefit from it? Some cats enjoy lying on grass. And if they’re indoor-only, a grass pad like Kitty Lawn may be their only opportunity to access it. Here are some reasons why cats may be attracted to fresh grass.
- Comfort and cooling: Grass can be a generally comfortable surface to lie on. And some cats may seek it out on hot days because it’s also cooling.
- Sunbathing: On the flip side, on cooler days, cats love to find sun puddles for sunbathing. And what better way to do that than on a nice patch of grass.
- Sensory Stimulation: Providing your cat with grass will allow them to feel different textures on their paws. They may even enjoy rolling around on it as well. And the smell of the grass will offer your cat a new scent.
- Variety: Lastly, isn’t a little variety always nice? I’m sure your cat has a nice plush cat bed (that may never get used), a cardboard box or scratcher to lie on, and your clean pile of laundry. But offering them grass gives them a new experience and environment, too.
Will my cat use Kitty Lawn?
Just unbox the grass pad and set it out! Your cat will know what to do. When I opened our box, the cats immediately came over and started sniffing it. As indoor-only cats, they don’t see grass often. So, they love smelling Kitty Lawn and lounging on it!
Check out our video of opening Kitty Lawn and the cats checking it out.
I’ve found that the grass pad lasts about two weeks. The company says it might last a little longer if you water it, although they don’t necessarily recommend doing so. Depending on the cat, they may not like being on wet grass. Some mornings, I set ours in the sun.
So, if you’re looking to give your cats a little change of scenery and bring the outdoors inside for them, Kitty Lawn is a great enrichment idea. They will love the texture on their paws, sniffing the fresh grass, and lounging on the lawn surface.
How big is the grass pad?
Kitty Lawn comes in two sizes:
- The regular Kitty Lawn is 24 x 9 inches, which comes in a cardboard box.
- The Luxury Kitty Lawn is 24 x 16 inches. The Luxury version comes in a black plastic base.
I tried out both sizes and actually prefer the smaller size. I like that I can set it on one of our cat shelves in the cat room, as shown below.
Is it the same as cat grass?
No. Kitty Lawn is like the grass in your backyard, while cat grass is usually a mixture of wheat, oat, barley, or rye seeds. The company says they don’t encourage your cat to eat the grass since it’s not specifically grown for that purpose, but mine do like to nibble on it.
Is it messy?
Nope! Kitty Lawn is hydroponically grown on a farm in California, meaning the grass is grown in a water-based nutrient solution instead of in soil, so it’s not messy in your house! There is no dirt inside the box when you open it. Note that they do not use any pesticides on the grass.
Where to buy Kitty Lawn
Kitty Lawn can only be purchased directly from their website. If you want to try it out to see if your cats like it, you can use our affiliate link and discount code CATLADYALLEY for 10% off a one-time purchase (not good on subscriptions).
Shop at Kitty Lawn
10% Discount Code: CATLADYALLEY
(discount good on one-time purchases, not subscriptions)
Kitty Lawn Giveaway
(The giveaway is now closed.)
Kitty Lawn is giving away one (1) standard Kitty Lawn grass pad (24 x 9 inches) to two winners! The giveaway is open to U.S. residents and closes on October 15, 2023 at 5:00pm Pacific, full details below.
Requirements to enter the giveaway:
- Subscribe to the Cat Lady Alley newsletter via the Newsletter Signup form below. If you’re already a newsletter subscriber, great! You don’t need to subscribe again. If you’re a new subscriber, you must confirm your subscription, so check your spam folder! (Form now removed.)
- Leave a comment on this blog post about anything! Example: Do you think your cat would like Kitty Lawn?
- Confirm your two required entries via the Rafflecopter widget below. Bonus/optional entries are available as well.
The giveaway is open to residents in the U.S., 18+ years of age, except where prohibited by law. Two winners will be selected randomly by Rafflecopter and contacted via email on Sunday, October 15, 2023 after 5:00pm Pacific. Each winner will have 48 hours to claim their prize through email. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize, and a new winner will be randomly selected by Rafflecopter. One (1) Kitty Lawn standard size grass pad will be sent to each winner directly from the company. The giveaway closes on October 15, 2023 at 5:00pm Pacific.
Bonus entries through the Rafflecopter widget below!a Rafflecopter giveaway
If you’re looking for other cat enrichment ideas, check out our post: 10 Cat Enrichment Ideas for a Happy and Healthy Cat